Choosing a car seat for a newborn can be a tricky affair as the baby is still too tiny and delicate. This means that, not all convertible car seats are meant for newborns. For convenience, it is good to go for a seat which is rear facing only. Most rear facing convertible car seats has a base that stays in the car while you can get the carrier in and out of multiple cars with their own base and often stroller. The click in and out is a convenience for a small baby as it makes it easier to carry them from place to place and keep them out of extreme weather. The price you will have to pay is, the seat will only be useful for the first one year or so before the baby outgrows it.
Another option you can go for is for a newborn car seat which you fix permanently in the car and which doesn’t have the convenience base. Most convertible car seats are labelled 5 lbs and above, thus making them hard to fit in a tiny newborn baby. What is the best convertible car seat for infants?
- The lower torso when fixing the strap position should be below the usual 7 inch mark in order to fit correctly
- Harness need to be tight enough to pass the pinch test. It should be short enough to accommodate an average 7 pound baby
- Newborns need a recline angle that is generally around 45 degrees
- Go for a car seat which includes an infant insert to position the baby correctly in the seat and provide body and head support
From the above information, here are some of the best convertible car seats for newborns!
It is at 5 lbs with a bottom harness measuring 5.5 inch slot when using the newborn insert. It provides a great fit for newborns and comes with multiple recline settings, which you can easily be adjusted to fit your newborn recline.
Why Buy It
- It is a great car seat for extended rear facing
- A LATCH which is easy to install using the superclinch technology
- It is easy to switch to the lower LATCH connectors
- 9 recline positions which practically guarantee a perfect recline angle
- It has harness straps which are easy to tighten around your newborn
- Buckle style is easy to buckle and unbuckle
- Cover and infant insert can be machine washed in cold water
- Smooth bottom base will not damage the vehicle upholstery
This is a great car seat which you will use from the time the baby is born until he is all grown. It will give you a 10 year service which will offer your child with comfort and convenience. With this car seat, you will greatly transition baby from rear facing weight capacity range of 4 -40 lbs to forward facing weight capacity of 20 to 65 to high belt booster position, weight capacity of 30 to 100 lbs to a backless belt positioning booster weight capacity of 40 to 120 lbs. It comes with a Simple Safe Adjust harness system and 10 headrest which lets you adjust the harness and the headrest together with no re-threading. It has a 6 position recline keeps your child comfortable. It is one of the best convertible car seats for toddlers that will serve you from birth to booster.
If you are looking for a convertible car seat that will serve your baby from birth and can fit in a small space, this is the best convertible car seat for newborns. It is a perfect car seat that will fit your needs well. It comes in two models, one with a TinyFit infant insert which is the best for newborns.
Why Go For It
- It comes with 3 position adjustable crotch strap
- It has 3 adjustable recline settings
- TinyFit body pillow
- It has two sizes of chest clips
- Head pillows
- It has a push button lower anchor connector
- Two sets of harness comfort pads
- TinyFit infant insert
- No re-thread harness
This is a great seat for baby as it has a rear facing weight capacity of 5 -40 lbs; rear facing height range of one inch from the top of the fully extended head restraint. It has a forward facing weight capacity of 20 to 65 lbs, and a forward facing height limit of 49 inches. The lowest harness of this convertible seat is 7.5 inches with newborn insert and the highest harness height position is 18.65 inches. The great thing about this convertible car seat is that, it expires after 10 years, thus will take care of baby’s car seat needs until he is all grown.
Why Go For it
- It comes with a ClickTight installation
- Two position adjustable crotch strap
- Seven recline settings for rear and forward facing
- It has no re-thread harness
This is a great car seat for baby, which is easy to install due to the presence of the Onyx and off LATCH connector. To detach the seat from the car, you only need to press the connector buttons. It fits children from 5 to 40 lbs for rear facing and from 20 to 65 lbs for forward facing configuration. It comes with an impact absorbing base and a removable pillow which together, makes the baby comfortable. It has an easy to remove cover that can come off the seat for cleaning without having to re-thread the harness.
No matter how madly in love, you are with your newborn, that first drive home will definitely be nerve wracking and that is the main reason you should be careful when choosing a convertible car seat for your baby. Baby seat should be safe and comfortable and cute design as a bonus. Check for the side protection, energy absorbing foam, comfort, expiration date, well fitting strap, registration, ease of installation and position. The best convertible car seat for newborns will definitely have all the aforementioned qualities.