A convertible car seat is a necessity, especially once your baby outgrows the infant car seat. The convertible car seat can be installed either as a forward facing or rear facing. This car seat will be used by the baby until when he is all grown and can use the normal car seat. It is important that when you are out there shopping for the best convertible car seat for travel, make sure that you purchase one that is safe, looks pretty good in your backseat and is easy to install.
What are The Best Travel Convertible Car Seat
For small babies, it is important to use a rear facing infant seats as they are great for travel since they are usually pretty lightweight and they are made to be portable. The infant seat is made to be used minus a base. There are those that hook like protrusions on top of the carrier about where the child’s thighs hold the lap portion of the seat belt. Use the belt guides to install your infant seat on the plane and in cars too. The heavy base is better be left at home for easy portability of the convertible car seat. If your child weighs over 22 lbs, there are those seats, which requires you must carry the base.
If your baby is bigger you can use a rear facing best convertible car seat for air travel. If you are traveling on the plane, make sure you choose a row where you can have the car seat more reclined. When you are flying, choose those car seats, which are narrow and lightweight. It is possible to drag a car seat with a wheel in the airport. Let it be less than 15 lbs.
Here are some of the convertible car seat for travel reviews!
This is one of the best travel convertible car seats for big cars like SUVs. It is a rollover that is tested on the market which comes with an impact absorbing headrest technology that will definitely protect your child while you drive. It is an all in one car seat that can go from birth up to age 12 years, transitioning from rear facing to forward facing and finally to a high back booster for big kids up to 120 pounds.
Why Buy It
- It is a rollover tested car seat
- It is a headrest that absorbs impact, thus dissipitating crash forces and providing your child with safety
- Up front harness adjustment and recline
- Harness webbing and other safety features
- It comes with guides which makes installation easy
- Extended safety from birth to when the baby is all grown and using the harness booster mode, from 5 to 120 lbs
- The child’s body temperature is balanced by the fabric on the seat
- To put your child in and out of the seat is an easy task as they have buckle pockets
It is a safe convertible seat which is easy to install. The ClickTight feature makes sure that you install the car correctly, thus ensuring a secure and safe install every single time. It is easy to operate as you just do it with a click. The car seat installation is very easy and anyone, even grandma, can comfortably get an easy, rock solid installation even when you are not around.
Why Buy It
- It includes car seat and a removable pillow
- Wraps your child in comfort with premium padding and fabrics
- The clicktight installation system gives you a safe and easy installation every time so you are certain your loved one is protected
- It has 3 layers of impact protection that it offers to your child, which is the best protection for an impact absorbing base and steel frame
It is one car seat which is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for rear facing. It can accommodate rear facing up to and above 2 years. Two years is the time when it is recommended that you can now use front facing for your baby. But with this car seat, you can retain your child in the rear facing position for as long as possible, after all, it is proven to be the safest riding position in the car. It is a comfortable car seat for babies. It comes with a four position extension panel that provides five inches of external leg room and has a 50 pound rear facing weight capacity. This is one of the best convertible car seats for travel as you baby can rear face up to the time he will be going to kindergarten.
Why Buy It
- It has a rear facing weight capacity of 5 to 40 lbs
- It has a rear facing height range of 1 inch from the top to fully extended head restraint
- It has a forward facing weight range of 20 to 65 lbs
- It has a forward facing height limit of up to 49 inches
- The lowest harness position is 7.5 inches and comes with a newborn insert
- The expiration period is 10 years
- The lower anchor weight limit is 30 lbs rear facing and 35 lbs for forward facing
If you have a child who likes to snack while in the car, this is the right car seat for her. The child can take juice, cookie crumbs, and box spills without a care as the seat is easy to clean. The seat pad zips out from the shell, so you can take it off and toss it into the washing machine. The mesh backing helps the baby to keep their cool so when you take the baby out of the seat, you won’t have a sweat spot on the back of their shirt. It has a nine position reclining system which provides the most options for a variety of vehicles with bubble levels that indicate the correct angle for forward a rear facing.
Why Buy It
- It comes with a superclinch LATCH tightening system
- It has no re-thread harness with 6 height positions
- 2 crotch strap / buckle position
- It has 2 position chest clip
- It has energy absorbing EPS foam lines which increase the safety of the seat
- The forward facing and rear facings are locked off with seat belt installation
- It has 9 recline positions
- Dual liquid bubbles level indicators
- There will be no damage to the vehicle upholstery as this car seat has a smooth bottom
This is one of the best budget seat on the market. It costs less than $50, yet it is safe,comfortable and cute. Though it is affordable, it has those features that you will find on high end convertible seats like five harness, three crotch positions, and padded seat. A cup holder is an added beautification of the seat. At 40 lbs, it is lightweight, thus one of the best convertible car seats for air travel.
Why Buy It
- It meets or exceeds the Federal Safety Standards
- LATCH equipped and capable for the entire life of the car seat
- Compact TSA design for airport security
- Certified for use on aircraft
- Removable cup holder is dishwasher safe
- The seat pad is dryer safe and machine washable
- It can fit growing kids as it comes with 5 harness heights and a 3 buckle locations
- 5 point harness with easy front adjustment
- Side impact protection
- Forward facing weight capacity is 22 to 40 lbs
- Rear facing weight capacity is 5 to 40 lbs
- Fit 3 across in the back seat of most vehicles
This is an all in one convertible car seat which has 3 removable and reversible infant insert pillow which will snuggle and properly position your newborn baby on the trip back home from hospital. Once you feel comfortable to turn your baby around, they can ride in forward facing up to 65 pounds. It can then be turned into a booster belt positioning for kids up to 100 pounds.
Why Buy It
- It exceeds federal safety standards, thus making the best convertible car seat
- 1 removable dishwasher safe cup holder
- It has a dryer, safe seat pad which is machine washable , making cleaning the seat a breeze
- It only takes 7 inches, thus making it the best car seat for compact cars or for air travel
- IIHS good belt rating for use in booster mode for your child
- QuickFit harness which makes adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step
- Grow with baby pillows for a comfortable ride
- Harness holder with the harness held back, it is easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- Side impact protection
- Built to grow for extended use through 3 stages; rear facing capacity of 5 – 40 lbs, forward facing capacity of 22 – 65 lbs, belt positioning booster capacity of 40 – 100 lbs
This is a car seat which is free from any harmful chlorinated flame retardants. They resist bacteria, odor, and moisture, thus making it to stay clean always. Liquids bead up on top so you can spot clean it, leaving no stain behind. You can also recycle the seat once you are done using it.
Why Buy It
- The forward-facing installation has a rigid LATCH
- In case of a crash, it has anti rebound bar which limits the effect of a rebound
- Built in lock offs for both rear and forward facing
- Rigid substructure as it has a steel and magnesium substructure
- Structural headrest which is aligned with energy absorbing foam and connected to seat frame with steel rods
- Energy absorbing foam both inside and outside the frame of the car seat
- Designed for extended rear facing for up to 4 years
- It has 3 recline positions
- It has an adjustable crotch strap that has 2 different lengths to accommodate bigger kids
- In case of crash forces, there is a REACT safety system, made of aluminu that will absorb the forces
- Crypton super fabrics which are waterproof, can be wiped clean, and resist bacteria
- Narrow footprints
- It has 10 covers from which to choose from
Most convertible car seat focus on comfort and convenience when the seat is used forward facing since that is how your child will sit in for a longer period. This particular seat gives priority to rear facing. It a base which is reclining thus no need for pool noodles. It acts as an extra tool for installing the rear facing configuration by most parents. When you buy it, it is automatic to install and start using it immediately. An anti rebound reinforcement which reduces rotation of the car seat during an impact is provided by the built in cup holders, thus making it one of the best convertible car seats for travel.
Why Buy It
- It comes with a cloud comfort memory foam and dual air flow comfort system with CoolMesh and built in shell vents
- It has a hero technology and a twist resistant buckle, which will make the seat more comfortable as it prevents harness twisting
- Racing inspired side impact protection tested to international standards
- It has an integrated anti rebound protection and two dual purpose built in cup holder and removable inserts
- QuickFlip recline foot and rear facing recline ensures a precise and easy installation and increased comfort for your rear facing child
Make sure by the time your child celebrates his first birthday, he should be in a convertible car seat. Get details about the seats from the Consumer Reports which has trustworthy ratings. Some of the features you must put into consideration are : the height, convertibility, safety should outweigh the inconvenience. It might be that you still have your child in the infant seat, but the sooner you transition him to the best convertible car seat for travel, the better.