Baby mattresses are made of different and unsafe materials because most manufacturers only aim to provide comfort and affordability. If you are a wise parent who reads first before you buy your baby’s things, you would know that buying the best organic baby mattress is the best way to keep your kid from harmful materials.
What materials are commonly used in a crib mattress?
- Polyurethane foam – most crib mattresses are made of this material. It serves as the filling for the mattress. It is soft but it is also flammable. Unlike the best baby mattress organic available in the market today, mattresses made of polyurethane foam has different additives that are harmful to baby’s health like benzene, toluene and formaldehyde.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) with Phthalates) – this material is used to make waterproof crib mattresses. This is a kind of plastic actually known for being toxic because after a decade or a century, it remains above the earth. Raw Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) with Phthalates) is hard so in order to make it soft, some chemicals are added to it such as chemical plasticizers are also known for its negative effect to the ozone.
Choosing the best organic baby mattress
When we say organic mattress, we mean fully organic. The best organic baby mattress in the world is something that is made of organic materials inside and out. There are some manufacturers who claim that they are selling organic baby mattress but it comes with vinyl covering to make it waterproof. That is not organic. Organic products are those that are made of naturally grown materials such as cotton or fiber or wool. If the manufacturer added any toxic chemicals in there like a few petroleum here or a few vinyl there, then it is not organic.
The best baby mattress organic that is from natural raw materials is:
- GREENGUARD certified – a 3rd party product emission standard tester
- Made of plant based materials – these are products that are made of Eco Foam, Bio Foam, or Soybean Foam
- The filling is made of raw materials such as cotton, wool or fiber
- It is water proof but the waterproof material is made of food-grade polyethylene plastic.
The best organic baby mattress in the market today
The Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress is a sample of a real organic product. This best baby mattress organic product is waterproof but is made of polyethylene food grade material. The waterproof surface is easy to clean while the filling is comfortable with its cotton filling. The cover has anti-dust mite feature hence it is hypoallergenic. For a price of $259.00, this is indeed the best organic baby mattress out there but is also the most expensive. The No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress from Naturepedic has no polyurethane foam added, no Vinyl/ PVC, phthalates, lead, or biocides and is a certified all-organic baby crib mattress. It has passed US standards as well as GREENGUARD certification.
For a price of $117.98, Sealy Soybean Serenity Organic Crib Mattress is another best baby mattress organic in the market that is GREENGUARD Certified. This baby mattress promises to dry days and nights without using any plastic. It is made of natural and organic waterproof material. It did not use any plastic such as vinyl, polyethylene or PVC.
This is best organic baby mattress in its price range because despite being at such affordable price, it has a soft filling to give your baby the comfort she deserves. The filling is made of high-density soybean foam-core. It is light and has been CertiPur-US Certified. It means that the main material used in this baby mattress is made of renewable material. This crib mattress measures 52 x 28 x 5 inches hence it can fit most regularly sized cribs or baby beds. With this baby crib mattress from Sealy, you are giving your baby a good sleep without worries of allergies and other serious consequences of using materials laden with toxic chemicals.
For a price of $118.81, you can get the best organic baby mattress from L.A Baby with their Organic Cotton 2 in One Orthopedic Crib Mattress. This best baby mattress organic is made of 260 Heavy Duty 15.5 Gauge Steel Coils to make durable enough to last a lifetime while the 9 Gauge Border Rod added to it add support and rigidity. Unlike any other crib mattress that losses cushioning after sometime, the cotton-poly coil wrap of this baby mattress will keep its cushion sturdy even after the usual wear and tear.
For such a price, you would be surprise to know that this best organic baby mattress from L.A Baby comes with a USDA Certified Organic Cotton Insulator pad to keep it more durable. It is also waterproof with its deluxe White Jacquard fabric cover and since it is sewn with a cotton binding, rest assured that no moisture will seep inside it. The entire Organic Cotton 2 in One Orthopedic Crib Mattress weighs 18 pounds and can carry up to 50 pounds without worries of sagging. It is recommended for babies that 4 pounds or above (less than 50 pounds limit though).
There are a lot of options in terms of baby mattresses but finding the best organic baby mattress can be challenging because of white lies from most manufacturers. Before deciding whether a product is indeed what you are looking for, make it a habit to ask, read reviews and check customer feedbacks. Don’t be a victim and be surprised that what you think to be the best baby mattress organic product is actually made of toxic plastics and other raw materials.