Getting pregnant and carrying to term is one of the most joyful experiences for a woman. What every new mother quickly discovers, however, along with the many sleepless nights is that their body has been put through a physical ordeal that will take time to return back to normal. The stomach fat is looser, the buttock perhaps is starting to sag a little, and both the torso and thigh areas also are showing signs are what her body’s recently been through.
It is a more difficult experience when wanting to get back in shape than when losing a few pounds to hit the beach in the summer. The stomach is flabby and the muscles have been stretched out, the thighs are probably retaining too much water weight, and the back is also adjusting to the change in posture following baby delivery. Over 9 months, her body changed dramatically to support the growth and subsequent birth of her baby, but now there’s a different challenge ahead.
Getting Help with a Postpartum Girdle
A girdle is a garment for women that fits around the full circumference of the body. It acts to promote a new shape for the torso, stomach and buttock areas of her body. A post pregnancy girdle is an ideal choice to help encourage the natural healing that happens after giving birth and return her body back to its original shape.
The best postpartum girdle helps with:
- Eliminating back pain
- Knitting the abdomen back together internally
- Cutting water retention
- Speeds up the healing after pregnancy
- Promotes a new posture
- Helps encourage C-section healing process
- Reduce the size of the hips, waist, and stomach areas
Whether called a postpartum girdle, a postpartum belly band, or a postpartum corset, these terms are fairly interchangeable. Each product offers something a little different — they’re not all designed the same – and are made from different materials. As such, it is a good idea to consider the features of a typical postpartum girdle to help draw some initial points of comparison:
Benefits of Wearing a Postpartum Girdle
Here is more detailed information about some of the critical benefits of wearing a postpartum girdle.
Recovering from a C-Section
Some girdles are designed to promote advanced healing from a C-section delivery. There is a chance that the sutures may break or the wound opening up from angular moves. By wearing a girdle aimed at preventing the incision opening up, it has the opportunity to heal faster, leaving a less noticeable scar. Be sure to clean the incision in accordance to doctor’s post-delivery instructions.
Pendulous Abdomen Treatment
An issue with pendulous abdomen related to a weakening of the muscles of the abdominal area. The pelvic floor muscles as well as the abdominal muscles get weaker. The condition causes the uterus to move forward causing issues during child birth.
Fluid is moved around the body, in part, using muscles to push it along. The lymphatic system is part of this functionality. The use of a girdle or corset to compress down the uterus and abdomen reduces the possibility of excess fluids being collected. As such, the decreased likelihood of bloated swelling allows the above areas to recover and heal faster than they otherwise would.
Lumbar Region Pain Reduction
The postpartum lady benefits from a compression of the lumbar and abdominal areas. This promotes a better posture that lessens back pain and encourages recovery.
Ease Access for Urination
Depending on the postpartum girdle or corset, it may have a useful flap that secures via hooks. Once unhooked, the flap provides quick groin access to go to the restroom without needing to remove the garment. Beyond the ability to pee without waiting, the flap release also provides access to the perineum (the area between the rectum and the vagina) to regularly clean it. It is normal for new mothers to experience a discharge for over a month and access in this area helps to keep dry and avoid unnecessary accidents.
Useful for Diastasis Recti
During pregnancy, it is not unusual for the rectus abdominus to separate. Usually, this is because the uterus has pushed onto the abdominal wall or in some cases where there is too much fat around the abdominal region. In either case, the separate causes problems in the postnatal stage with their ability to lift bags, carry items, and more.
The abdominal muscle – commonly referred to as the six pack – is essential for core strength to move around, lift, carry, and other everyday actions. The lack of core strength is a real problem. Wearing a postpartum girdle helps the separated muscle to knit back together and supports it while it gains in strength over the coming months.
Features of the Best Postpartum Girdles
General Benefits – How supportive is the garment? Does it promote an improved new posture to help straighten the back? Will the garment offer an appropriate level of compression to promote abdominal healing and C-section healing? Does it improve recovery times? Will it suit either Cesarean or Vaginal-based deliveries?
Ease of Wear – Is the garment too bulky to wear underneath clothes without it being seen by other people? Is it an item of clothing that is wearable all day or won’t it breathe well in hot environments?
Comfort – Is it easy to adjust to wearing the postpartum girdle or will it always feel like it’s getting in the way? Does the compression cause skin bruising or will the skin adjust to the pressure? Are normal daily activities possible or will it get in the way? Using the gym; possible or not? Is bending down to pick something up still possible when wearing the girdle or is it necessary to take it off?
Material – Girdles are made from many types of materials or most often a combination of two or more. The materials tend to be stretchable and breathable to allow some “give” in the fit and not get too hot during daytime or evening wear. Some of the fabrics include nylon, latex, and cotton.
Structure – Some of the products include flexible boning that helps to sculpt the garment over the body, shaping it from top to bottom as it does so. One of the benefits of this feature is that it prevents the girdle from rolling up under the clothing.
Exterior – With the exterior of the girdle, a variety of different materials are adopted. Natural rubber is a common one seen applied because it often does a better job of molding to the natural shape of the woman’s body. The use of quality exterior materials often creates a clingy effect to keep the blouse closer to the girdle to avoid the latter becoming either visible or obvious. The downside of the use of rubber is that it adds heat during wear. Anyone looking to avoid this should consider girdle products that don’t use these types of materials on the exterior of the garment.
Durability – The durability of the girdle depends largely on the brand, the quality of the materials, the stitching and clasps, and how it holds up to the rigors of daily life. Cheaper is not necessarily better.
Sizes – It is not often the case that a girdle offers the full range of sizes from extra-small right up to 5 extra-large. Typically, a postpartum girdle will either focus on the smaller sizes or run more from the medium right up to a 3XL or 5XL plus size for larger ladies. It depends on the manufacturer whether they offer a size to suit.
Medical-grade – Some girdles are marked as “medical-grade” because they adhere to certain standards and style of fitting.
Price – The price is a key consideration for any new mom who has a host of new expenses to cover. However, quality is a consequence of price in many cases, so one should go cheap and expect high quality. When it comes to postpartum health, one shouldn’t take chances.
We have reviewed 8 Best Postpartum Girdles to find which ones are the most suitable. We hope you find this shopping guide useful:
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Pull-up is a white and cream colored garment primarily designed to compress the body and support the back.
It is available in a small, medium, large and extra-large size. The sizing is up to 40% off compared to what one might imagine. For small ladies, they might need the medium size to fit well. In cases where the woman is national bigger boned or has wider hips, going two sizes up may be necessary. There is a sizing guide from Bellefit that helps inform ladies which size would best suit their current frame.
The product is intended to provide support after a natural birth procedure and during her recovery period. This postpartum girdle is medical-grade and recommended by doctors because it provides support for the abdominal wall which helps in a number of areas including rectus abdominus.
There is considerable boning along each side to help re-contour the body back into its correct position. Getting the size right with the fitting is important here to avoid the boning feeling like it is digging in. Usually a couple of weeks is required to let the fit feel normal; in the meantime, using a sock or other padding to stop the boning pushing into the sides of the rib cage is a common approach.
The side boning and back support promotes a new, much improved posture. The lower back is supported sufficiently, but the majority of the back also gets posture support due to its tight fit. As a result, lower back pain is diminished when wearing this garment daily.
There is a convenient flap at the front groin area which has three hooks that must be undone to release it. Once undone, this provides access to go to the toilet and clean up any unexpected discharges during the day too.
- Medical-grade and Doctor approved
- Strong abdominal wall support
- Flattens the stomach
- Lower back support and pain relief
- High enough to promote better posture over time
- Side boning to encourage an upright posture
- Looks smoother when covering loose skin
- Flat design, ideal for wearing under clothing
- Three-hook flat at the frontal groin area for easy access for the washroom
- Has a tendency to ride up the body during the day
- Side boning is something too tight and requires additional padding until it feels more comfortable
- Pull up design not preferred by all mothers
- Wears extremely small to fit; many ladies need to buy two sizes up from their regular size for the garment to fit properly
The Squeem Perfect Waist is a waist trainer designed for women who wish to slim down their midsection for summer and improve their posture.
The garment covering starts below the chest at the rib cage line and runs down to just above the pubic region. It has ribbing along the length of the garment which supports a tailored look and provides frame support too. The uses of cotton and rubber ensures a snug fit that pulls the body into a better posture which when worn multiple hours per day begins to improve the overall look of the women in virtually any clothing.
The product creates an appearance that slims the waist down and with the improved posture, helps to lift the breasts up. It is no longer possible to slouch, which some ladies tend to do, and the more upright position helps push the upper torso up and outwards which accentuates her curves.
The external material is rubber which helps it cling closer to outer clothing. The combination of the internal boning structure and use of rubber on the exterior create a type of shell that looks attractive.
Much like with postpartum girdles, the Perfect Waist products offers many of the same benefits for improved posture and pulling in loose skin to encourage it to flatten out. It doesn’t cover the full lower abdomen area, however, which is perhaps the primary different between a postpartum girdle and a waist trainer like this one. When the abdominal muscles have separated, a postpartum girdle is a better solution, but in other situations, a product like this one might be useful.
The design of this product is ideal for wearing off-the-shoulder or summer dresses, tops and skirts. The inner lining which has a triple-filtered cotton for added softness is especially comfortable.
The garment is available in beige or black colors. It is sold in sizes from extra-small to 5XL which is a wider size range than most other products in this category.
- Front clasp wrap around waist trainer
- Cotton inner lining for added comfort
- Improved back and posture support from the supports
- Sizes from X-small to 5XL
- Black and beige color choices
- Trainer takes pressure off the back and distributes it
- Reduces back strain and acts as a pain reliever
- Re-shapes the waist
- Improves the bust line through a straighter posture
- Wearable under dresses and fun outfits
- Rubber exterior likely to get hotter in summer months
- Rubber may cause clothing to stick to it
- Tight when trying to bend over
- Not expressly designed for postpartum use
- May not be comfortable to wear for many hour at a time
- Difficult to get on when the fit it tight
- Can slide up too far if not fitted correctly
The ShaperQueen 1010 waist trainer is designed a little like a corset but using softer materials. It is made from a combination of polyester and Spandex, the latter which provides its stretch-ability. The fabrics are breathable and anti-bacterial which is important for postpartum women who are healing up after giving birth.
Two colors are available: Light pink or black. The available sizes range from extra-small to 3XL. Generally, the sizes fit as one would expect and one doesn’t need to buy a larger size than the lady would usually select.
The garment is useful for postnatal women because it provides compression across the belly to improve its shape, support for the midsection, and ample back support too. The high waist and boning system along the length of the garment create a silhouette which is distinctly feminine. There are three hooks and columns to set the correct amount of cinching for the individual wearer. When fitted correctly, this should ensure that the waist trainer don’t slide down the body.
The bottom has been designed to release by undoing only three hooks. This avoids an unexpected bathroom accidents when one cannot get the garment undone in time.
Given the low-profile nature of this waist trainer, it is wearable under dresses and other garments without being noticed. It does sit fairly minimally on the body without displaying a tell-tale bulk in any given position. For ladies who wish to wear the trainer for long periods through a range of different activities, this fact is an important one.
- Waist trainer to help tone and slim down
- Clasps at the front from top to bottom
- Bottom three-clasps release for convenient bathroom access
- Low-profile polyester/Spandex blend that does bulk up when worn under dresses and tops
- Breathable, anti-bacterial material
- Internal boning to promote improved posture
- Three-hook, three-column system to cinch the fit tighter or looser
- Compresses the belly, supports the midsection and back for postnatal women
- Subtle designed pattern
- Creates a slimmer silhouette
- Black and light pink color choice
- Sizes available from extra-small to 3XL
- The right size is needed to avoid the garment slipping down
- Doesn’t offer 4XL or 5XL sizes, unlike some other products in this category
The postpartum shaper from the Just Us Store is designed to help reshape the woman’s body after surgery or having recently given birth. The girdle gradually reshapes the curves and address the post-pregnancy bulge around the abdominal area too. The product is ideal for post-surgery usage (a tummy tuck or other suitable operation), as a waist trainer to reshape the body, or postpartum after giving birth.
The product is available in XX-small up to 3XL. The sizing is usually correct for most ladies. The clips need to be hooked into place and the garment zipped up, but once this is done, the fit is smooth and dependable. As a body shaper, the girdle works much like a waist trainer does by compressing the waist and tummy to shape it and encourage the body to subtly change its shape.
The postpartum girdle has a combination Nylon with Elestan in the lining; Nylon is used for the majority of the material. It is anti-microbial to avoid germs or bacteria building up. The garment requires hand-washing, not machine washing, and one should avoid soaking it. Dry flat and use air drying over another method to retain its form, elasticity and durability.
The garment fits from the top of the rib cage down to the crotch and on to the upper thigh. It is a snug fit, which works well with clothing worn over the top. There is an open crutch area making going to the washroom easier because it’s not necessary to remove the item first. It will take time to put the girdle on in the morning through given how tight it is once the clips are snapped into place and the zipper up.
- Waist trainer and girdle
- Useful as a waist trainer, for support after surgery, i.e. a tummy tuck, or for postnatal care
- Good for postnatal women looking for compression around the waist and over the full abdomen area
- Open crotch for easier washroom visits
- Top straps on either side are removable when needed
- Anti-microbial material
- Made from Nylon and Elestan (mainly with the lining)
- Sizes from XX-small to 3XL
- Fitting is a good match with the sizing given
- Ideal for wearing with short skirts or shorter dresses in the summertime
- Fits with clips and a zipper
- The upper thigh material tends to roll up awkwardly when worn for long periods
- Tough to get the garment on in the morning, especially if still feeling sore from a previous surgery
- Hand wash only and air dry only
- Stains difficult to get out when not able to use a hot machine wash cycle
The Bellefit Postpartum girdle is designed specifically to help ladies who’ve recently given birth to a baby, rather than being a waist trainer or other type of similar product.
The girdle is available in various sizes from extra-small to extra-large. There are no 3XS or 3XL sizes available here. With women who put on over 30lbs during their pregnancy, it is advisable to opt for at least one size higher than their normal pre-pregnancy sizing. Rarely are sizes too large, but sometimes buyers don’t choose a size that’s large enough for their postnatal body size and shape.
Rather than a front or back closure. There is a side zipper that perhaps makes it easier to wrap the garment around the body and then zip it up to the top. Once the girdle is on, it’s not necessary to remove it for trips to the washroom because there is a convenient groin flap that is un-hookable quite easily.
To adjust to fitting, there are hook and eye closures one inch separated to allow the woman to resize the girdle as she loses weight. The side zipper fitting is recommended for women who had a natural birth, but a front zipper or clips enclosure is recommended for women who’ve had a recent C-section.
Better products offer a greater amount of compression; cheaper products are lacking in this regard. Because of the amount of compression provided in the abdomen and belly, it helps the uterus go back to its normal position. For this reason, this product is rated as medical-grade which provides some assurances about quality and design.
- Proper postpartum girdle to help support a woman’s body when in recovery
- Designed for use following natural birth; C-section birthing should choose a front-fastened girdle for the proper compression in the right area
- Medical-grade product due to the strong abdominal support and compression level
- Improved back posture to improve support
- Fast access to the groin by release three hooks to unlock the flap
- Side zipper access to put the girdle on more easily
- Sizes available from X-small to X-large
- Sizes tends to be accurate with some ladies finding the size initially a challenge, but getting used to it over time and once they start to re-shape and lose their belly fat
- Bellefit are known for offering excellent customer support
- For women over 5”7, sometimes the medium size is too short and requires an extender (available separately from Bellefit)
- Unflattering appearance from the rear for some women
- Creates a “muffin top” when too tight; doesn’t look as good when wearing dresses and tops over the girdle
- No 2XL, 3XL or ultra-small sizes available
The Chongerfei postnatal support product offers a novel approach that’s quite different to other offerings in the market. Instead of having a single garment that one clips into place or zips up, this product is a 3-in-1 solution. It has a belly belt, a waist belt, and a pelvis belt. These operate separately and may be worn separately at any time, but also combine together to fit neatly on the woman’s body too.
The material used is a durable, quality one, but it is recommended to wear some type of undergarment to avoid the materials touching the skin directly (the recommendation comes from the manufacturer directly). This stipulation is difficult to almost every other postpartum girdle reviewed here.
There are two available sizes: The “one size” version which fits a stomach measuring 26-inches up to 36-inches, and the “plus size” version which is listed as 4XL for women over 190lbs. The lack of a series of sizes is a small concern here, but each of three belts are highly adjustable which mitigates this concern.
The three-belt approach is an interesting one. Different levels of compression may be set for each of the three belts to suit the lady in question. With this setup, it’s possible to wear one, two or all three belts at the same time and get the fit just right for her.
The fabric is breathable and stretches nicely. It is designed in a mesh to let air flow freely. The fitting is through Velcro which adjusts on both sides to create an even fitting. While it is primarily designed for postnatal treatment, the garments also work well for other types of treatment like after having liposuction and other treatments.
The posture is also improved through adjustment to the way one stands or sits. The back is supported too, which helps avoid continuing to take pressure on the spine which is better placed elsewhere.
- Belly, waist and pelvis belts in a 3-in-1 concept
- Postpartum girdle, but usable for support post-surgery
- Highly ventilated mesh fabric that breathes extremely well
- Velcro secure fastening that is endlessly adjustable
- Highly adjustable fitting for the belly, waist and pelvis regions
- Promotes a better posture when wearing regularly
- Ample back/lower back support
- Not always comfortable when not wearing all three garments together
- Putting on the girdle takes longer when using all three garments
- Requires an undergarment which many other girdles do not
- A little but bulky to wear under clothing
- Only one color available
- Limited size options available
The Trendline postpartum girdle is designed to help with postpartum issues like enlarged bellies and back pain. The product is only available in the beige color and comes in sizes from small to XL. The lack of XL2 and greater sizes is a little disappointing, but actually the sizes are quite generous. The XL size fits a waist up to 43-inches, the large size fits a 40-inch waist, the medium size fits a 36-inch waist, and the small fits a waist up to 31-inches.
The material is made from a combination of polyester fiber and elastic fiber to give it stretch-ability. The goal of the product is to provide support for the body post-birth to flatten out the bellow, tighten up the waistline, and fully support the back. The product fits below the bra line and half-way up the panty line.
The polyester and elastic fiber make this product light, breathable, stretchy, and above all, comfortable. There are multiple Velcro closures that allow for infinite adjustment to get the fit just right for the wearer. Once fitted properly, the feeling is a snug one, while not being too tight to cut off the circulation. Whilst not noted as medical-grade, the compression support is certainly good enough for postnatal care.
It is possible that some women may like using this product as a waist trainer. Wearing it during daily activities, including working out, is possible, though sleeping while wearing it is not recommended.
The tightness of the fitting encourages sitting up straight and standing with the correct posture. Over time, this improves the overall appearance and helps the spine recover from carrying the extra weight of an unborn child to term.
- Postpartum girdle to deliver compression around the waist, stomach and abdomen areas
- Helps improve spinal support and posture over time
- Stretchable, breathable, lightweight, comfortable materials
- Polyester fiber and elastic fiber
- Usable during a fitness workout routine
- Available in sizes Small to X-Large
- Beige color
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Not as long as some other products which extend below the groin area to the thighs
- Doesn’t have 2XL or 3XL sizes
- Only one color available
- Takes time to fit properly for people new to wearing the product
The postpartum girdle from Hip Mall uses a 3-in-1 design similar to the ones from Chongerfei reviewed earlier. Its appearance isn’t that much different and it works similarly.
There is a belly belt, a waist belt, and a pelvis belt. The belly belt is usable right away following baby delivery to help return the stomach muscles back to normal. The waist belt is useful after the first week to reshape the waist, flatten out the belly and better support the back. The pelvis belt works to return the pelvis back to its original shape.
The product has a limited range of sizes being only available in small, medium and large. The small size fits up to a 32-inch waist, the medium size fits a 35-inch waist, and the large size fits up to a 40-inch waist. The beige colored product is made from Polyester and Spandex which provides both the breathability and stretch-ability, while being comfortable and light.
The fitting of the girdle sits from just below the bra line to the very top of the thighs. As such, this 3-in-1 product covers the abdomen entirely and is able to deliver excellent compression support to promote faster healing. Whether a natural birth or delivered by C-section, this product is designed to cover the troublesome areas while they heal.
The primary way that the girdle is fastened is using Velcro. These straps wrap around the front and sides. They are easily adjustable until the perfect fit is achieved.
The garment must be hand washed, not machine washed. It is recommended to be air dried rather than dried in a washer/dryer which could damage the fabric or fastenings.
- 3-in-1 postpartum girdle
- Belly belt, waist belt, and pelvis belt
- Velcro secure fastenings that are easily adjustable
- Polyester and Spandex for stretchy, breathable, comfortable wear
- Compression from the side, front and back
- Promotes improved posture with solid back support
- Available in Small, Medium and Large sizes (waist size maximum: 32-inches; 35-inches and 40-inches)
- Beige color only
- Not the ideal postpartum girdle for C-section deliveries; try a front-fastened girdle instead
- Limited range of sizes
- No choice of color
- Bit bulky which makes it more noticeable when worn under clothing
- Requires an undergarment to be worn for comfort which can sometimes ride up
- Requires washing first before use
- Hand washing only; air-drying recommended
A postpartum girdle is an important purchase for women who have recently given birth. Ideally, it is something bought before the due date to ensure that she has it available when she needs it. The product helps encourage the pelvis to move back into its normal position, reshape the waistline, flatten the stomach and abdomen, repair damaged stomach/abdominal muscle groups, and improve back support too.
There are many types of products on the market that offer these features. Some are marketed strictly as postpartum girdles whereas others are waist trainers which offer a shorter list of the require features but may still be useful in some circumstances. A few products offer a 3-in-1 design with separate belts for the belly, waist and pelvis areas. These are more adjustable using Velcro fastenings, but typically are bulkier and don’t reach the thighs. It is more of a personal choice whether a traditional postpartum girdle is preferred over the newer 3-in-1 type product.
Lastly, when having given birth through a C-section, this requires particular attention as to which girdle to wear because not all of them support and promote the healing of a C-section incision.
We wish you the best of luck with your new baby and postnatal care.