Kids normally convert from using infant seats to rear facing convertible car seats after they outgrow the infant seats. The weight limit for rear facing is 40 lbs, but some convertible car seats go up to 50 pounds. The height limit is typically the same for most rear facing seats, whereby, the child’s head must be at least 1 inch below the top of the car seat.
Rear facing is safe for babies because, your head will not be violently be pulled far from the chest, as it is the case with a forward facing, whereby, in case of a frontal crash and the child is seated in a rear facing position, it is cradled in their seat without any change in sitting position.
The more the kids grow older, their feet will touch the back of the vehicle seat. This is both comfortable and safe. Am sure you normally wonder why a 5 year old will sleep with his head on his chin and wake up without complaining of a stiff neck. This is because the kid’s joints are not yet fully formed, thus making them sit comfortable in any position without feeling any discomfort. That is why a 3 year old can seat comfortably rear facing with her legs crossed or in the frog leg position.
Forward facing seat causes more leg injuries to loved ones. This is due to the child’s legs flying up and hitting back on the front seat and the front seat moving backwards, thus compressing the child’s legs. This is avoided if the child is rear facing as he will be in a cannon ball position during the frontal crash, thus however scrunched they might be, they will always end up super crunched in the instant of a crash thus no injuries. Get the best rear facing convertible seats for your car.
Here are some of the rear facing convertible car seat reviews which will give you a guideline on how to go about choosing the best rear facing convertible car seat.
This car seat is so tall that there is no way any child could ever outgrow them by height before reaching the weight of 40 lbs. It is tall enough to be an extended rear facing seat. It has no re-thread, has a standard rubber pads, comes with a SafeCell hug pad, deeper head wings , top harness slots, click safe snug harness indicator, and an overall height of 2 inches thus making it one of the best rear facing convertible car seat.
Why Buy It
- It can be used as a rear facing convertible seat for weight capacity of 5 – 40 lbs
- Outgrowing this seat in the rear facing position by height won’t be an issue because it is so tall that all kids will fit height wise if they are still under 40 lbs. It is advisable for children to rear face until their heads are 1 inch below the adjuster on the headrest, which can be fully extended.
- LATCH limits are 35 lbs rear facing, 40 lbs forward facing
- Forward facing 20 – 65 lbs and height of 49 inches or less
- It is FAA approved for use on aircraft
- It has a 10 year life span before seat expires
- It is made in the USA
- It has a generous height and weight limits for rear facing and forward facing
- Super easy seat belt installation with ClickTight system
- ClickTight also acts as a built in lock off device so you don’t need to understand the pre-crash locking features at your vehicle seat belt
- No-rethread harness makes it easy to adjust the harness height when your child has a growth spurt or when you need the seat for another kid
- The harness straps are thick and not prone to twisting
- IMMI buckle is easy to buckle and unbuckle
- Deep head, wings give maximum protection inside in case of an impact crash
- It comes with EPP foams which are durable, hugs pads, rip stitch tether, and impact absorbing technology in its base which works together to absorb energy in case of a crash
- The harness straps are replaceable if necessary
- Hugs pads may be removed when the child is rear facing
- It is a compact car seat when in rear facing, even for older babies. This makes it a good option for smaller cars and for tall parents who may need to have the front seat all or most of the way back
- Easy to remove cover
It has no re-thread harness, and standard rubber hug pads, and the top harness slot height and overall height are high enough to allow the child to stay in it using the rear facing configuration.
Keep your child growing comfortable and safe by use of this best rear facing convertible car seat. It has a rear facing weight capacity of up to 40 lbs and a forward facing weight rating up to 65 lbs your child can remain harnessed longer. It comes with an additional body and head pillow for extra comfort. It can be used from birth to harnessed booster when the baby all grown up. It accommodates kids from weight ranges of 5 – 65 lbs. It comes with safety features like SureLATCH technology, which you just click to click. Using the super snug feature, you can super fast installation in less than 60 seconds.
This car seat has a high rear facing limits, it can fit a full term newborn, can fit 7 years old, it is easy to install, and it is it is easy to adjust the harness height. It can accommodate a weight capacity from 4 to 40 pounds in rear facing configuration. In forward facing, it can accommodate a weight capacity from 20 to 65 pounds. Another feature that makes this convertible car seat to be above the competition when it comes to the best rear facing convertible car seat in the market includes: Simply SAfe Adjust harness which is a system that allows you to either lower or raise the harness height by simply squeezing a lever, without affecting the installation of the seat. It has an In Right LATCH systems which are easy to install.
Why Buy It
- The rear facing leg room seems better than average
- It has a high rear facing height limit, nearly all kids will be able to enjoy the rear facing configuration of the seat up to 40 pounds in this particular seat
- In Right LATCH system. Ultra easy to connect and remove and it comes with different attachments for rear facing and front facing configuration so no re-routing is necessary
- Due to the harness being tall, it will definitely accommodate kids up to 7 years old
- It has shoulder room which is wide enough to accommodate older kids comfortably
- It has a SimplySafe harness whose height can be adjusted with one hand, thus making it an easy to use
- Front adjustment 3 steps recline, easy to read ball indicator for recline level
- EPS foam lined head, wings meet Euro draft side impact standard
- Integrated cup holder
- Good value at under for such high weight and height ranges with 7 year life span
This seat gives you a 10 year service guarantee. It is comfortable for your child and convenient for you as your baby transitions from rear facing with a harness for your infant. The rear facing weight capacity is from 4 – 40 lbs while that for forward facing with a five point harness is from 20 to 65 lbs. A high back belt positioning booster accommodates 30 to 100 lbs weight capacity. You can get a safe adjust by using the SafeAdjust harness system and a 10 position headrest which will let you adjust the headrest and harness at the same time with no re-threading. It has a six position recline which will keep your child comfortable. It has an In Right LATCH system with one second attachment which makes the installation easy making it one of the best rear facing convertible car seat.
Why Buy It
- It has EPS energy absorbing foam for effective impact energy management
- It has push inserts which will keep your child comfortable on your many journeys together
- It has easy to read level indicator which helps parents find the right position for accurate installation and maximum safety
- Steel reinforced frame provides strength and durability for years of smart utility
- Its side impact is tested for occupant retention solely with the built in five point harness system
- Its InRight LATCH attachment provides an easy, one second LATCH attachment with an audio click cue to help ensure secure installation
- It has a one hand, 10 position headrest which makes it easy to give your growing child a proper fit for maximum safety
- It comes with a harness system of Simply Safe Adjust, which adjusts the height of the harness and headrest in one motion to ensure that your child is always properly secured
- Six position recline adjusts to fit and keep your growing child comfortable, it is comfortable for them and convenient for the parent
This is an excellent car seat which grows with the baby. It is three seats in one which offers maximum comfortability at every stage in baby’s growth life. It is a great rear facing car seat as it can accommodate between 5 – 40 lbs of weight and 20 to 65 lbs while in the forward facing capacity. As a belt positioning booster, it can accommodate a weight capacity of between 30 – 100 lbs. The It comes with a harness system of Simply Safe Adjust, which is responsible for this flexibility and comfortability of this car seat. It will enable you to concurrently adjust the headrest and harness for an always right fit. It has arecline position of 4 which will make your child feel comfortable while in the In Right System which easiens the process of installation. Its side impact is tested and the SafeSeat Engineered thus giving you peace of mind as you enjoy a ride with baby
Why Buy It
- It has no re-thread harness with tall height limits
- Installs easily with LATCH or seat belt
- Can accommodate all children under 40 lbs rear facing
- Good value for your money as it will last some children from birth to beyond 8 years old
- Should fit average sized newborns adequately
- Converts easily to high back booster mode
- The cover can be easily removed
- The harness doesn’t need to be removed for booster use
- Can use LATCH in booster mode
- It comes with a clear instructional manual
- It has a 10 year life span before expiration
You will agree that the safest car is the one which fits your car very well and fits your child as it is used correctly every time. The Tiny Fit system allows the Pria 70 to remain upright while in a rear facing position. It gives the child a harness snug on their low shoulder slots and they also get a comfortable recline position. The Pria 70 is designed to fit where other convertible car seats do not fit. It requires less space in the vehicle, thus giving more room for the front seat passengers and an easier installation.
Why Buy It
- It has a strong rear facing adjustment which makes it faster and easier to correctly install rear facing thus making it one of the best rear facing convertible car seat
- The TinyFit feature provides a better fit for small babies and small cars
It is not a coincidence that flight attendant use rear facing. This is the safest way everyone should travel in. It is advisable, therefore, to let your child sit rear facing for as long as you can past the 2 year recommendation. Let him sit until reaching the maximum height or weight for rear facing in their best rear facing convertible car seats which is between 2 – 4 years.